If you’re looking for the right products to clean your new carpets or flooring, we have some great tips, tricks and products—all recommended by our leading flooring manufacturer’s. We want you to get the most out of your new flooring. We want to help you to keep it looking beautiful all while maintaining your manufacturer’s warranties/guarantees.
As always, it’s important to refer back to your Care & Maintenance Guide for your individual product’s needs as these can vary from brand to brand.
Top Tips for Cleaning your Carpet
Firstly, we recommend that you vacuum at least once a week and more often in heavy traffic areas. This will prevent soil embedding in the carpet pile and grinding at the base of the tufts. (which can make your carpet wear-out faster). Vacuuming not only prolongs the life of the carpet, but also enhances its appearance. Please note there are vital differences when vacuuming carpet depending on what type of carpet and fibre type you have installed.
It’s also important to ensure that you have selected the right vacuum cleaner. You might not be aware that some fibres can’t actually be cleaned with a brush bar, and that the vacuum height is actually important. We have a great resource on picking the right vacuum cleaner on our website.
For Loop Pile Carpets – Bremworth recommends a plain suction-type vacuum cleaner. Turbo or revolving brush head attachments may reduce surface frizzing – however overuse can lead to frizzing, especially on loop pile carpets. Beater bar and adjustable revolving brushes should only be used infrequently and on the lightest settings only.
For Cut Pile carpets – All types of cleaner heads can be used but over-use with a revolving brush vacuum head may affect the tailored appearance of your cut pile. Bremworth recommends using a plain suction head (avoiding unnecessary pressure, which will flatten the carpet) and occasional grooming with your turbo or revolving brush head.
Steam Cleaning – Many manufacturers recommend that you professionally steam clean your carpet every 12-18 months (check your care and maintenance guides). Besides freshening up your carpet, the aim of this cleaning is the removal of dirt particles such as dust and sand deeply anchored in the fibre that can cause premature wear and tear. This cleaning should be solely performed by a professional cleaning company.
Cleaning up Spills and Stains on your Carpet
- Make sure you gently but firmly ‘blot up’ any liquid immediately, working from the outer edge to the centre. Do not scrub/rub the spill or the carpet as this can damage the pile. Paper towels are usually recommended for this step (or a white microfibre towel).
- Scoop up any solid spills, all while trying to ensure that the spill isn’t pushed further into the carpet pile.
- Determine the most appropriate method of stain removal as advised in your manufacturer’s Stain Removal Guide (refer to your care and maintenance guide). Here’s a sample from our mates at Bremworth.
- If the stains fail to respond adequately to the recommended treatment, please call a professional carpet cleaner.
Our Recommended Carpet Cleaning Products
If you’re looking for floor cleaners that are recommended by our suppliers and provide real bang for your buck, check out some of the ranges that we sell in our Showroom.
How to Clean Hard Flooring
(Engineered Timber, Laminate Flooring, Hybrid Flooring & Vinyl Planks)
- Remove loose dust and dirt from the floor using a soft brush or dust mop. For dry spills, sweep or vacuum your floor thoroughly and as regularly as needed (at least once per week).
- If you have a wet spill, ensure you clean it up as soon as possible to prevent stains. We recommend using a paper towel or a light/white microfibre cloth.
- If your floor is moppable, mop to make sure you have removed all of the dust/spill. Do not “wet” mop your floors, but rather dilute a hard flooring cleaner with water into a spray bottle, liberally applying it to your floors and immediately mopping it up with a clean, microfibre mop. Don’t use a steam mop. We have included some of our top performing products below.
- Make sure you clean or swap your microfibre mop head regularly to ensure you don’t have dirt within it that may potentially scratch your floors in the future.
- For stubborn spills, refer back to your manufacturer’s care and maintenance guides.
Here are some of our top cleaning products, based on your flooring type.
Bona floor cleaning products are made in Sweden and protect & maintain Household floors in over 90 countries worldwide. Bona floor care products are non-toxic, pH neutral, water-based and Greenguard certified.
Bona supplies a complete residential floor cleaning system including spray mops and cleaning pads, as well as cleaners for timber and hard surface floors. We offer a wide range of these in our showroom, including:
Bona Spray Mop Kit for
Engineered Timber Floors
The Swedish designed Bona Timber Spray Mop kit comprises a sturdy trigger handle and swivel mop head, a microfibre cleaning pad and an 850ml refillable cartridge of Bona’s own award-winning Wood Floor Cleaner. Simply open the box, click together and you are ready to go.
The microfibre pad picks up dirt and moisture to remove stains, dirt and grime, and is machine washable to use over and over again. Bona’s world-leading timber spray mop will make short work of cleaning your timber floors.
Bona Timber Floor Cleaner
Bona Timber Floor Cleaner is a ready-to-use water-based cleaner designed for the on-going maintenance of finished timber floors. Quick, easy and convenient. Bona Timber Floor Cleaner is available in a 1 Lt Trigger Spray, economical 2.5 Lt Refill Pack and a 0.85 Lt Spray Mop Cartridge. Removes 99% of bacteria when used with Bona’s Microfibre cleaning pads.
How to Clean Laminate Flooring, Hybrid Flooring & Vinyl Planks
Bona Stone, Tile & Laminate Cleaner is a ready-to-use waterborne cleaner designed for the on-going maintenance of sealed hard surface floors including ceramic tiles, laminates, linoleum, vinyl planks, hybrid flooring, marble and more.
- Removes 99% of bacteria with Microfibre Cleaning Pads
- Bona world-leading quality, sold in over 90 countries world-wide
- Cleaning solution made in Sweden
- Specifically designed for hard surfaces including stone, tile, laminate, vinyl/LVT and hybrid floors
- Ready to use formula no mixing or diluting required, simply spray and clean
- No streaks, no dulling residue left behind
- Thoroughly cleans and helps maintain and protect your floor
- Fast drying, floors can be walked on straight after cleaning
- Ph neutral formula doesn’t damage floor surface
- Certified Greenguard GOLD.
Need More Floor Cleaning Tips?
If we haven’t covered what you’re looking for, please refer back to our post-installation guide or your manufacturer’s care and maintenance guides. Alternatively, get in touch by emailing [email protected]